One of my favourite quick and easy snacks is popcorn. Before becoming a vegan, I rarely are popcorn. It was something I had at the movie theatre and even then, I didn’t always go for it.
After becoming vegan and wanting a good salty/savoury alternative to chips, I discovered making my on stovetop popcorn. Making popcorn on the stove means I can make as much or as little as I want in one go. I can also flavour it however I want.
Here’s a quick little recipe that is a tried and true crowd pleaser:
– in a medium-large pot with a lid, add 2 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil while on high heat (I usually put my burner to an 8/10)
– after about 1-2 mins, full the bottom of the pot with a single layer of kernels (when the kernels start popping it will take up a lot of space!)
– once you hear the kernels popping, start shaking the pot. this helps to prevent it from burning and will keep unpopped kernels at the bottom.
– when you hear that the popping has stopped or significantly slowed down, the popcorn is done!
– if you want extra flavour, add 1 tbsp vegan butter to the pot and mix it in
– put the popcorn into a large bowl to serve
– add spices like garlic powder, black pepper and chili powder to taste